Cooling Dock Dx
Cooling Dock Dx
The Dx Cooling Dock is on close-out sale. The Dx supports and quietly cools current and prior generation Apple laptops (see specs) with laptop enclosure cooling, as well as provides direct internal processor cooling on laptops with a center intake vent such as the 2021-2023 MacBook Pro (M2/M1 Pro/Max), 2012-2015 MacBook Pro (Intel Retina) and 2010-2018 MacBook Air (Intel pre-Retina).
The Dx and all Cooling Dock models work with the laptop operating in closed-screen clamshell mode while connected to one or more external monitors, external keyboard/mouse and power supply. All Cooling Dock models also feature a unique and stable leaning configuration for easy clamshell setup while the laptop remains connected to cables and safely in a padded cradle with adjustable/replaceable laptop support pads. All SVALT cooling systems use modular bolted / snapped cooling system assemblies and ship with the tools required for right-to-repair servicing, exchanging and upgrading. All SVALT products are made locally with care in the Pacific Northwest, using enduring metal construction made from solid aluminum.
- Active and passive airflow, and heatsink cooling.
- Externally cools laptop enclosure at processors.
- Internally cools laptops with center intake vent.
- Ultra-quiet active airflow cooling system (B16).
- Exchangeable bolt-in modular cooling system.
- Exchangeable snap-in 3/4-pin 80x80x25mm fan.
- Clamshell setup with laptop safely in padded cradle.
- Universal compatibility design for Mac / PC laptops.
- Replaceable user installed laptop retention pad.
- Made from solid aluminum in Portland, Oregon.
Active Airflow Cooling Features
- Ten side slot vents for cooling the laptop enclosure at processor location and beyond.
- Large central lower vent for cooling the laptop enclosure at processor location and beyond.
- Cooling air is driven into compatible laptop intake vent for direct internal processor cooling, such as with the 2021-2023 MacBook Pro (M2/M1 Pro/Max), 2012-2015 MacBook Pro (Intel Retina) and 2010-2018 MacBook Air (Intel pre-Retina).
- Raised pads for directing cooling airflow to processor area and then reaching surrounding laptop enclosure.
- Non-restrictive laptop vent airflow for increased airflow and reduced noise.
- Extended rear screen position and opening pattern designed for increased airflow and reduced noise.
- External outlet power supply for increased power with reduced internal laptop heat gain.
- 80x80x25mm 12-volt fan for powerful yet quiet cooling.
- B16 cooling system prioritizes ultra-quiet audio performance for noise critical environments.
Passive Cooling Features
- 1.8 lb aluminum heat sink for extracting heat from laptop.
- Minimal padding area for radiant heat transfer from laptop to heatsink.
- Lower center vent channels natural air currents for cooling laptop and heat sink.
- Open space between padding for channeling cool air from lower center vent.
- Width aligns with laptop vent locations for unimpeded airflow.
Workstation Productivity Features
- Compact product footprint for more open desktop.
- Heavy mass for increased stability.
- Non-slip feet for stable workstation placement.
- Two threaded underside holes for securing dock to media carts or for theft prevention.
Clamshell Mode Features
- Leaning vertical closed-screen clamshell mode support for easy and secure clamshell mode setup with access to power, Touch ID and keyboard while safely held within padded cradle and connected to cables.
- Disables laptop screen to optimize graphics for improved external display performance.
- Reduces laptop screen, keyboard, trackpad and battery use for increased lifespan.
- Uses external display, keyboard and trackpad / mouse for improved ergonomics.
Device Compatibility Features
- Leaning support for compatibility with a wide range of laptops, tablets and other devices.
- Angled lower support shelf and non-slip padding for holding device in place.
- Optional user installed laptop retention pad locks device in place.
- Optional user installed laptop pads to accommodate a wider range of device thicknesses.
- Support system designed for universal Mac and PC laptop fit and cooling.
- Optimized fit and cooling for most Mac laptops.
Right-to-Repair Modularity Features
- Modular bolt/snap assembly for customer servicing, replacement, exchange or upgrade.
- Bolt-on fan with standard 3/4-pin fan connection for customer servicing, replacement, exchange or upgrade with nearly any 80x80x25mm fan.
- Product ships with all of the tools required for disassembly.
- Packaging system works with all Cooling Dock models.
Material and Component Quality Features
- High-quality 6061 aluminum structure for extra strength and durability.
- Anodized aluminum finish for matching Mac laptop finishes.
- Metal construction for long life span and end-of-life recyclability.
- High-quality fans with long life performance.
- High-quality components over-specced for increased performance and life.
- Minimal use of plastic for reduced environmental impact.
- Biodegradable package cushioning for reduced impact.
- Designed and crafted with care in and around Portland, OR, USA (includes foreign electronic components).
- Design driven by a passion to make best-in-class products.
- Innovative design with patents issued and/or pending.
- Support and trade-ins for anyone with a SVALT product.
Cooling System Specifications
- B16 Cooling System: Ultra-quiet single-speed Arctic 80x80x25mm 12-volt case fan with 5 black blades and a long life fluid dynamic bearing. The fan runs at approximately 1600 RPM and produces up to 21 CFM airflow and approximately 13 dB(A) noise level.
- R17 Cooling System: Single-speed SilenX 80x80x25mm 12-volt case fan with 7 red blades and a long life ball bearing. The fan runs at approximately 1700 RPM and produces up to 31 CFM airflow and approximately 18 dB(A) noise level.
- W20 Cooling System: Single-speed Arctic 80x80x25mm 3-pin 12-volt case fan with 9 white blades and a long life fluid dynamic bearing. The fan runs at approximately 2000 RPM and produces approximately 41 CFM airflow and 23 dB(A) noise level.
- DIY Cooling System: Fan screen with standard compact 3/4-pin fan connector, power switch, power jack, and power supply ready for user supplied fan per Modular Fan section below.
- Modular Cooling System: Bolted assembly/connection for easy upgrade, exchange, servicing or cleaning. Replacement cooling systems are available to purchase separately.
- Modular Fan: Bolted assembly with standard 3/4-pin fan connector for easy upgrade, exchange, servicing or cleaning with virtually any 80x80x25mm fan. Replacement fans are available to purchase separately. User/customer supplied replacement fans must meet the following specifications: 1) 80x80x25mm, 2) 3-pin or 4-pin compact fan connector with standard thickness wire sheathing, 3) 12V, and 4) 0.42A max.
- Setup: See Product Setup page for product setup, operation and additional user guide resources.
- Right-to-Repair: See Right-to-Repair page for product assembly/disassembly and component installation/removal.
Power Supply Specifications
- A North American power supply is included with USA, Canada, Mexico or Japan, while an international power supply is included with other locations.
- North America Power Supply Specs: 100-240V AC input and 12V output power supply with a fixed Type A (USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan) plug.
- International Power Supply Specs: 100-240V AC input and 12V output power supply with Type A (USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan), Type C (Europe, South America, Asia), Type G (United Kingdom, Ireland), and Type I (Australia, New Zealand, China) interchangeable plugs.
- Replacement: SVALT products may only be used with the certified and marked LPS (Limited Power Supply) power supply. A replacement power supply is available through accessory.
Device Compatibility Specifications
- Compatible Apple / Mac Laptops: Mac laptop models from the last decade, as well as other devices per the compatibility criteria listed below.
- Compatible PC Laptops: Most standard to small PC laptops per the compatibility criterial listed below.
- Compatibility Criteria for Types: Works with the following device and screen types: 1) Laptops operated in closed-screen clamshell mode while connected to an external display, keyboard/mouse and power supply. 2) Laptops with convertible/flip touchscreen, either while in a standalone configuration with touchscreen, or while also connected to a second display and/or keyboard/mouse. 3) Tablets with touchscreen, either standalone or connected to an additional display.
- Compatibility Criteria for Fit: Works with devices that are up to approximately 0.910 inches thick, but accommodation will vary depending on the bottom edge shape of the device. Optional left and right 0.063 inch thick pads can be installed by the user to create additional offset and allow for additional airflow with thinner laptops. An optional laptop retention pad can be installed to lock the laptop in place.
- Compatibility Criteria for Cooling: Works with devices that do not have hot air exhaust vents located within the 4.500 inch center portion of the bottom edge (screen hinge edge on laptops). Cooling performance improves with devices that have the following attributes, where more attributes result in more cooling: 1) Metal enclosures / chassis to absorb heat and then transfer it to cooling airflow from the multiple vents and heatsink thermal mass. 2) Devices used without customer installed surface covering that traps heat, reducing the ability to transfer heat to surroundings. 3) Processor location centered and near bottom edge to align the device’s highest temperature location with the most cooling for the largest heat transfer potential through multiple cooling vents and heatsink thermal mass. 4) Cool air intake vent locations centered on bottom edge for direct internal cooling from the lower vent.
- See Laptops page to learn about Apple laptop’s built-in cooling systems and SVALT model recommendations.
- Product Side to Side: 4.8 inches.
- Product Front to Back: 4.1 inches.
- Product Top to Bottom: 4.1 inches.
- Product Weight: 2.0 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 3.1 to 3.3 lbs.
- 1 x SVALT Cooling Dock model Dx per selected build configuration.
- 3 x optional user installed laptop retention pads (1 pad installed at a time with 2 extras for future installations).
- 1 x user installed set of 1/16” layer front surface pads.
- 1 x hex drive for right-to-repair accessing modular cooling system for exchanging, servicing or cleaning cooling systems and fans.
- 1 x power supply w/ fixed plug for domestic or multi-plug for international orders.
- 1 x reusable cardboard product box.
- Note that some assembly may be required. Follow packaging labels and see Product Setup page for product setup, operation and additional user guide resources.
Aluminum Finish Color Specifications
listed from left to right
- Gray bead blasted anodize finish is similar to Apple’s Space Gray color.
- Black bead blasted anodize finish is similar to Apple’s Midnight color.
- Silver bead blasted anodize finish is similar to Apple’s Silver color.
- See Order Configurations section for aluminum finish color details.
- Anodized parts are pre-finished by hand and then anodized by hand in small batches. The anodize color may vary slightly between parts.
- Anodized part’s bottom and/or back surfaces are considered non-cosmetic finish.
- Satin silver and glossy black anodized finishes are brighter than matte anodize.
Fan Model Color Specifications
listed from left to right
- B16/B05 80x80x25mm fan with black frame and black blades.
- R17 80x80x25mm fan with black frame and red blades.
- W20 80x80x25mm fan with black frame and white blades.
- B22 80x80x25mm fan with black frame and black blades.
Sale and Discounted Colors
The Dx Cooling Dock is on sale for the first time. The Dx is made locally in small batch production runs with a limited remaining inventory. This is a final close-out sale. All sales are final. Items are sold as is, which is new and fully functional, but may differ from what is shown in photos and may have minor cosmetic blemishes on aluminum finish. Items noted as "2nds" under color selection have more noticeable cosmetic blemishes, including a blotchy or uneven finishing. No returns or exchanges with the exception of functionally defective or incorrect items. If there’s a problem with your order, please contact us for assistance within three days of receipt.
The B16 is recommended for most users as a baseline of always-on ultra-quiet cooling. The W20 is recommended for more aggressive cooling that can be used in less noise sensitive environments or switched on as needed. The R17 falls between the B16 and W20.
The cooling system’s bolt and snap modular system allows for easy fan exchange through accessories, and the cooling system will work with most any standard 80x80x25mm fan. We also offer a variety of upgrade options to our customers.
Order and Shipping Information
- SVALT products are made locally and hand built to order per the estimated build lead time listed above under the dropdown selector.
- SVALT is a local company based in Portland, Oregon. Oregon does not collect sales tax.
- International customers are responsible for paying their country’s import fees and taxes upon delivery. International orders are limited to one item per shipment.
- 1-year limited warranty for US customers.
- Support and trade-ins available for anyone with a SVALT product.
- See Options section above for sale details, and see policies for additional policy details.
Objects of Substance
SVALT is a mission driven company that offers something different with products that are as much art as tech, and as much objects of substance as machines engineered for performance. Made locally with care in the Pacific Northwest, SVALT products endure with solid metal construction, right-to-repair maintenance, easy upgrades, and a focus on sustainability.