Cooling Dock DLx
Cooling Dock DLx
The DLx and all Cooling Dock models feature a unique and stable leaning configuration for easy closed-screen clamshell setup while the laptop remains connected to cables and safely in a padded cradle with adjustable / replaceable laptop support pads. All SVALT products are made with enduring metal construction milled from solid aluminum in the Pacific Northwest. All SVALT products use modular bolted / snapped assemblies and ship with the tools required for right-to-repair servicing, exchanging and upgrading.
The B16 is recommended for most users as a baseline of always-on ultra-quiet cooling. The W20 is recommended for more aggressive cooling that can be used in less noise sensitive environments or switched on as needed. The R17 falls between the B16 and W20. The cooling system can be ordered with one of the fan models installed, with the B16 installed and the other two fans included for exchange, or without a fan for a DIY fan install.
The cooling system’s bolt and snap modular system allows for easy fan exchange through accessories, and the cooling system will work with most any standard 80x80x25mm fan. We also offer a variety of upgrade options to our customers.
- Active internal airflow and heatsink cooling.
- Internally cools laptops with center intake vent.
- Ultra-quiet active airflow cooling system (B16).
- Exchangeable bolt-in modular cooling system.
- Exchangeable snap-in 3/4-pin 80x80x25mm fan.
- Clamshell setup with laptop safely in padded cradle.
- Adjustable laptop retention pad.
- Made from solid aluminum in Portland, Oregon.
- Cooling air is driven into a compatible laptop’s intake vent for direct internal processor cooling.
- Raised lip edge for creating an air-sealed connection with a compatible laptop’s intake vent.
- Adjustable front pad presses laptop against raised lip edge for an improved air sealed connection with compatible laptop.
- Fan creates pressurized air chamber for pushing cooling air into compatible laptop’s intake vent.
- Extended rear screen position and opening pattern designed for increased airflow and reduced noise.
- External outlet power supply for increased power with reduced internal laptop heat gain.
- 80x80x25mm 12-volt fan for powerful yet quiet cooling.
- B16 cooling system prioritizes ultra-quiet audio performance with essentially silent operation for noise critical environments.
- 1.9 lb aluminum heat sink for extracting heat from laptop.
- Minimal padding area for radiant heat transfer from laptop to heatsink.
- Width aligns with laptop vent locations for unimpeded airflow.
- Compact product footprint for more open desktop.
- Heavy mass for increased stability.
- Non-slip feet for stable workstation placement.
- Two threaded underside holes for securing dock to media carts or for theft prevention.
- Leaning vertical closed-screen clamshell mode support for easy and secure clamshell mode setup with access to power, Touch ID and keyboard while safely held within padded cradle and connected to cables.
- Disables laptop screen to optimize graphics for improved external display performance.
- Reduces laptop screen, keyboard, trackpad and battery use for increased lifespan.
- Uses external display, keyboard and trackpad / mouse for improved ergonomics.
- Leaning support for compatibility with a wide range of laptops, tablets and other devices.
- Adjustable pad for holding compatible laptops in place and creating an air seal with laptop vent.
- Optimized fit and cooling for prior generation Macs and select PC laptops, such as 2012-2015 Retina MacBook Pro and 2008-2017 pre-Retina MacBook Air.
- Modular bolt/snap assembly for customer servicing, replacement, exchange or upgrade.
- Bolt-on fan with standard 3/4-pin fan connection for customer servicing, replacement, exchange or upgrade with nearly any 80x80x25mm fan.
- Product ships with all of the tools required for disassembly.
- Packaging system works with all Cooling Dock models.
- High-quality 6061 aluminum structure for extra strength and durability.
- Anodized aluminum finish for matching Mac laptop finishes.
- Metal construction for long life span and end-of-life recyclability.
- High-quality fans with long life performance.
- High-quality components over-specced for increased performance and life.
- Minimal use of plastic for reduced environmental impact.
- Biodegradable package cushioning for reduced impact.
- Designed and crafted with care in and around Portland, OR, USA (includes foreign electronic components).
- Design driven by a passion to make best-in-class products.
- Innovative design with patents issued and/or pending.
- Support and trade-ins for anyone with a SVALT product.
- B16 Cooling System: Ultra-quiet single-speed Arctic 80x80x25mm 12-volt case fan with 5 black blades and a long life fluid dynamic bearing. The fan runs at approximately 1600 RPM and produces up to 21 CFM airflow and approximately 14 dB(A) noise level.
- R17 Cooling System: Single-speed SilenX 80x80x25mm 12-volt case fan with 7 red blades and a long life ball bearing. The fan runs at approximately 1700 RPM and produces up to 31 CFM airflow and approximately 19 dB(A) noise level.
- W20 Cooling System: Single-speed Arctic 80x80x25mm 3-pin 12-volt case fan with 9 white blades and a long life fluid dynamic bearing. The fan runs at approximately 2000 RPM and produces approximately 41 CFM airflow and 24 dB(A) noise level.
- DIY Cooling System: Fan screen with standard compact 3/4-pin fan connector, power switch, power jack, and power supply ready for user supplied fan per Modular Fan section below.
- Modular Cooling System: Bolted assembly/connection for easy upgrade, exchange, servicing or cleaning. Replacement cooling systems are available to purchase separately.
- Modular Fan: Bolted assembly with standard 3/4-pin fan connector for easy upgrade, exchange, servicing or cleaning with virtually any 80x80x25mm fan. Replacement fans are available to purchase separately. User/customer supplied replacement fans must meet the following specifications: 1) 80x80x25mm, 2) 3-pin or 4-pin compact fan connector with standard thickness wire sheathing, 3) 12V, and 4) 0.42A max.
- Setup: See Product Setup page for product setup, operation and additional user guide resources.
- Right-to-Repair: See Right-to-Repair page for product assembly/disassembly and component installation/removal.
- North America: Orders from USA, Canada or Mexico ship with a 100-240V AC input and 12V output power supply with a fixed Type A (USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan) plug.
- International: Orders from outside North America ship with a 100-240V AC input and 12V output power supply with Type A (USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan), Type C (Europe, South America, Asia), Type G (United Kingdom, Ireland), and Type I (Australia, New Zealand, China) interchangeable plugs.
- Replacement: SVALT products may only be used with the certified and marked LPS (Limited Power Supply) power supply. A replacement power supply is available through accessory.
- Compatible Apple / Mac Laptops: MacBook Pro 15/13” Retina 2012-2015, MacBook Air 13/11” 2008-2017, and more based on the compatibility criterial listed below.
- Compatible PC Laptops: Select standard to small PC laptops per the compatibility criterial listed below.
- Compatibility Criteria for Types: Works with the following device and screen types: 1) Laptops operated in closed-screen clamshell mode while connected to an external display, keyboard/mouse and power supply. 2) Laptops with convertible/flip touchscreen, either while in a standalone configuration with touchscreen, or while also connected to a second display and/or keyboard/mouse. 3) Tablets with touchscreen, either standalone or connected to an additional display.
- Compatibility Criteria for Fit: Works with devices that are up to approximately 0.5 inches thick at their bottom tapped edge, and depending on the edge shape can fit devices up to approximately 0.9 inches thick at their thickest section. Larger devices with more rounded and tapered edges usually fit more easily than square edges. Note that removing the front adjustable pad allows thicker devices to lean against the cradle’s angled back and rest on the cradle’s lower pad, however, removing it may compromise stability.
- Compatibility Criteria for Cooling: Works with devices that do not have hot air exhaust vents located within the 4.500 inch center portion of the bottom edge (screen hinge edge on laptops), and that have an air intake vent in that center bottom edge location into which cooing airflow can be directly driven. The central lower cooling exhaust vent includes a flexible edge that conforms around the device’s edge to fit a greater variety of device shapes and provide an air seal around the device's air intake vent. The vent opening is approximately 3.8 inches wide at it widest point and approximately 0.5 inches tall at its tallest point. To achieve successful vent coupling, the device’s vent should be approximately as long as the exhaust vent. Cooling performance improves with devices that have the following attributes, where more attributes result in more cooling: 1) Metal enclosures / chassis to absorb heat and then transfer it to cooling airflow and heatsink thermal mass. 2) Devices used without customer installed surface covering that traps heat, reducing the ability to transfer heat to surroundings. 3) Processor location centered and near bottom edge to align the device’s highest temperature location with the most cooling for the largest heat transfer potential through cooling airflow and heatsink thermal mass.
- Note: See Laptops page to learn about Apple laptop’s built-in cooling systems and SVALT model recommendations.
- Product Side to Side: 4.8 inches.
- Product Front to Back: 4.1 inches.
- Product Top to Bottom: 4.1 inches.
- Product Weight: 2.1 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 3.2 to 3.4 lbs.
(listed from left to right)
- B16/B05 with black frame and black blades.
- R17 with black frame and red blades.
- W20 with black frame and white blades.
- B14 with black frame and black blades.
- G17 with light gray frame and dark gray blades.
- Products with fans use modular cooling systems with bolted and snapped fan assembly so that nearly any standard fan can be used. See specifications for details, and see accessories for replacement fans.
(listed from left to right)
- Gray bead blasted anodize finish.
- Black bead blasted anodize finish.
- Silver bead blasted anodize finish.
- Satin silver and glossy black anodized finishes are brighter than matte anodize.
- Anodized parts are pre-finished by hand and then anodized by hand in small batches. The anodize color may vary slightly between parts.
- Matte black anodize finish may show some finger prints, but can be cleaned with a microfiber cloth, or using a damp cloth with soap and water.
- Anodized part’s bottom and/or back surfaces are considered non-cosmetic finish.
- 1 x SVALT Cooling Dock model DLx per selected build configuration.
- 1 x hex drive for right-to-repair accessing modular cooling system for exchanging, servicing or cleaning cooling systems and fans.
- 1 x hex drive for adjusting sliding front laptop retention pad.
- 1 x power supply w/ fixed plug for domestic or multi-plug for international orders.
- 1 x reusable product box.
- SVALT products are made locally and hand built to order per the estimated build lead time listed above under the dropdown selector.
- SVALT is a local company based in Portland, Oregon. Oregon does not collect sales tax.
- International customers are responsible for paying their country’s import fees and taxes upon delivery.
- 15-day return and 1-year limited warranty for US customers.
- Support and trade-ins available for anyone with a SVALT product.
- See policies for additional details.
Objects of Substance
SVALT is a mission driven company that offers something different with products that are as much art as tech, and as much objects of substance as machines engineered for performance. Made locally with care in the Pacific Northwest, SVALT products endure with solid metal construction, right-to-repair maintenance, easy upgrades, and a focus on sustainability.