The SVALT Cooling Dock
was designed to drive cooling air through a laptop’s central air intake vent with screen closed in clamshell mode
in order to directly cooling the laptop’s processors, turbo charge the laptop’s performance, and transform the laptop into a high-productivity desktop workstation without requiring any laptop modification. The SVALT Cooling Dock’s two pound aluminum heat sink and cooling fan also provide passive cooling to a wide range of devices. The SVALT Cooling Dock’s innovative leaning support and adjustable retention pad help to accommodate a wide range of devices.
The devices shown in the diagrams above and included in the following list, are supported for active/direct processor cooling, passive cooling and thickness fit with the SVALT Cooling Dock:
Apple MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina display (Mid 2012 to Mid 2015).
Note that this model’s processor and heatsink configuration changes depending on whether the model does or does not have a discrete / dedicated GPU, however, the location and placement remains approximately the same. Also note that Apple continues to sell the integrated iGPU model as new.
Apple MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display (Late 2012 to Early 2015).
Note that this model’s first year 2012 processor placement and cooling system configuration uses two small fans, and then changes to a single large fan for 2013 and subsequent years.
- Apple MacBook Air with 13-inch display (Early 2008 to Mid 2017).
- Apple MacBook Air with 11-inch display (Late 2010 to Early 2015).
- New Razer Blade and Razer Blade with 14-inch and 15-inch displays.
- Additional devices, such as Yoga 2 and Yoga Pro with 13-inch display (see Device Compatibility Criteria below).
The devices shown in the diagrams above and included in the following list, are supported for passive cooling and thickness fit with the SVALT Cooling Dock, but not for active/direct processor cooling because the devices lack an air intake vent along the screen hinge or lack an air cooling system altogether:
- Apple MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina display and Touch Bar (Late 2016 to Mid 2018).
- Apple MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display and Touch Bar (Late 2016 to Mid 2018).
- Apple MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display Non-Touch Bar (Late 2016 to Mid 2017).
- Apple MacBook Air with 13-inch Retina display (Late 2018).
- Apple MacBook with 12-inch Retina display (Early 2015 to Mid 2017).
- Apple iPads all models and model years.
- Additional devices, such as Microsoft Surface, or Samsung Galaxy (see Device Compatibility Criteria below).
The devices shown in the diagrams above and included in the following list, are not supported for use with the SVALT Cooling Dock because of their built-in fan locations and thickness fit, however, some customers have chosen to use these laptops with the SVALT Cooling Dock:
- Apple MacBook Pro Unibody with 17-inch display (Early 2009 to Late 2011).
Apple MacBook Pro Unibody with 15-inch display (Early 2008 to Mid 2012).
Note that this model’s processor and heatsink configuration changes through the years, from a setup similar to that shown in the 17-inch diagram to the one shown in the 15-inch diagram, however, the location and placement remains approximately the same. In addition, certain models have a completely different built-in cooling system configuration, such as the Mid 2009 2.53 GHz model that uses a setup similar to 13-inch models with single fan in the center.
Apple MacBook Pro Unibody with 13-inch display (Mid 2009 to Mid 2012).
Note that this model’s processor and heatsink configuration changes through the years, however, the location and placement remains approximately the same.
Apple MacBook Unibody with 13-inch display (Late 2008 to Mid 2010).
Note these models came in both aluminum and plastic bodies.
Device Compatibility Criteria
The SVALT Cooling Dock can work with a wide range of devices, including laptops that operate with their screens closed in clamshell mode, convertible/flip laptops operated in clamshell mode or with their touchscreens flipped open, and touchscreen tablets, as well as the flexibility to to work with devices that have thin protective cases installed. Devices may be compatible if they meet following criteria:Screens
Compatible devices can be used with a variety of screen configurations, such as the following:
- Laptops operated in closed-screen clamshell mode while connected to an external display and keyboard/mouse.
- Laptops with convertible/flip touchscreen, either while in a standalone configuration with touchscreen, or while also connected to a second display and/or keyboard/mouse.
- Tablets with touchscreen, either standalone or connected to an additional display.
Compatible devices can benefit from a variety of supplemental cooling configurations, based on the following:
- The SVALT Cooling Dock has been designed to drive cooling air from it’s exhaust vent into a device’s air intake vent centrally located along the bottom edge. The SVALT Cooling Dock’s cooling exhaust vent includes a flexible edge that conforms around the device’s edge to fit a greater variety of device shapes and provide an air seal around the device's air intake vent. The vent opening is approximately 3.82 inches wide at it widest point and approximately 0.52 inches tall at its tallest point. To achieve successful vent coupling, the device’s vent should be approximately as long as the SVALT Cooling Dock’s exhaust vent, and should not conflict with the device’s exhaust venting. Devices with an intake vent that leads directly to the processors may result in more significant supplemental cooling.
- The SVALT Cooling Dock can help provide passive cooling to devices without air vents or with vents that do not align with the SVALT Cooing Dock’s vent. When used with these kinds of devices, the SVALT Cooling Dock’s fan driven cooling air can help cool the device’s enclosure and indirectly cool internal components. In addition, the SVALT Cooling Dock’s two pound aluminum cradle can act as a heat sink and help pull excess heat from the device.
- To learn about your laptop’s cooling system configuration see iFixit’s Mac Laptop Repair and PC Laptop Repair guides.
Compatible devices with a range of thicknesses and shape can fit, based on the following:
- The SVALT Cooling Dock has been designed for a device to be centered and placed on edge within the padded cradle. While devices can be placed into the cradle off-center, doing so may compromise stability.
- The SVALT Cooling Dock’s front pad adjusts to fit devices that are up to approximately 0.52 inches thick at their bottom tapped edge, and depending on the edge shape can fit devices up to approximately 0.85 inches thick at their thickest section. Devices with more rounded and tapered edges usually fit more easily than square edges. Adding a protective or decorative case to your device typically increases overall thickness and alters edge profile. Cases may or may not be compatible, with thinner cases more likely to fit than thicker cases. Removing the front adjustable pad would allow thicker devices to rest on the lower pad, however, the front adjustable pad helps to hold the laptop in place, so removing it may compromise stability.
Need Help Figuring Out What Mac Laptop You Have?
If you want to know what model you have and learn about all of it’s specification, then go to the top left of your screen, click on the Apple logo, click on “About This Mac”, click on “System Report…”, find “Model Identifier” under “Hardware Overview”, which should look like “MacBookPro#,#”. Copy the Model ID and search at Every Mac
And for MacBook Pros specifically, well, you now know that MacBook Pros can differ dramatically between model generations and years. Here’s a quick way to differentiate between the last decade of models:
Back to top of page
- 2018 to 2016 Touch Bar generation models are the thinnest and have USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 cable connection / port types.
- 2015 to 2012 Retina generation models are medium thin and have a full range of connection / port types, but lack a CD / DVD Superdrive.
- 2012 to 2008 Unibody generation models are the thickest and include a CD / DVD Superdrive.