The SVALT Cooling Dock
was designed to drive cooling air through a laptop’s central air intake vent with screen closed in clamshell mode
in order to directly cooling the laptop’s processors, turbo charge the laptop’s performance, and transform the laptop into a high-productivity desktop workstation without requiring any laptop modification. The SVALT Cooling Dock’s massive two pound aluminum heat sink and cooling fan also provide passive cooling to a wide range of devices. The SVALT Cooling Dock’s innovative leaning support and adjustable retention pad help to accommodate a wide range of devices.
The following devices are fully compatible with SVALT Cooling Dock for active/direct processor cooling, passive cooling and thickness fit:
- Apple MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina display (Mid 2012 to Mid 2015).
- Apple MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display (Late 2012 to Early 2015).
- Apple MacBook Air with 13-inch display (Early 2008 to Early 2015).
- Apple MacBook Air with 11-inch display (Late 2010 to Early 2015).
- New Razer Blade and Razer Blade with 14-inch display.
- Additional devices, such as Yoga 2 and Yoga Pro with 13-inch display (see Additional Device Compatibility Criteria below).
The following devices are compatible with the SVALT Cooling Dock for passive cooling and thickness fit, but not for active/direct processor cooling because they lack an air intake vent along the screen hinge or lack an air cooling system altogether:
- Apple MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina display and Touch Bar (Late 2016 to Mid 2017).
- Apple MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display and Touch Bar (Late 2016 to Mid 2017).
- Apple MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display (Late 2016 to Mid 2017).
- Apple MacBook with 12-inch Retina display (Early 2015 to Mid 2017).
- Apple iPads all models and model years.
- Additional devices, such as Microsoft Surface, or Samsung Galaxy (see Additional Device Compatibility Criteria below).
Back to top of page
Unibody Mac Laptops
Unibody 13-inch MacBook and 13/15/17-inch MacBook Pro laptops released from 2008 to 2012 are not officially supported as compatible with the SVALT Cooling Dock because the laptop’s built-in fan location(s) and because the laptop does not fit within the adjustable pad’s widest setting.
The SVALT Cooling Dock can work with a wide range of devices, including laptops that operate with their screens closed in clamshell mode, convertible/flip laptops operated in clamshell mode or with their touchscreens flipped open, and touchscreen tablets, as well as the flexibility to to work with devices that have thin protective cases installed. Devices may be compatible if they meet following criteria:
Compatible devices can be used with a variety of screen configurations, such as the following:
- Laptops operated in closed-screen clamshell mode while connected to an external display and keyboard/mouse.
- Laptops with convertible/flip touchscreen, either while in a standalone configuration with touchscreen, or while also connected to a second display and/or keyboard/mouse.
- Tablets with touchscreen, either standalone or connected to an additional display.
Compatible devices can benefit from a variety of supplemental cooling configurations, such as the following:
- Devices with air intake vents along the center of the bottom or possibly other edges that align with the SVALT Cooling Dock’s cooling exhaust vent. The SVALT Cooling Dock’s cooling exhaust vent includes a flexible edge that conforms around the device to fit a greater variety of device shapes and provide an air seal around the device's air intake vent. The vent opening is approximately 3.82 inches wide at it widest point and approximately 0.52 inches tall at its tallest point. With successful vent coupling, the SVALT Cooling Dock can then drive cooling air into the device’s intake vent and directly cool internal components and supplement the device’s built-in cooling system. This direct and active air cooling will typically provide the quickest and largest amount of supplemental cooling for the device.
- Devices without air vents aligning with the SVALT Cooling Dock can typically benefit from the fan driven cooling air passing over the device’s surface to cool the enclosure and indirectly cool internal components. In addition, devices can transfer heat to the SVALT Cooling Dock’s massive 2 pound aluminum cradle that acts as a heat sink, pulling excess heat out from the device.
- To find out more about your laptop’s cooling system checkout iFixit’s PC Laptop Repair and Mac Laptop Repair guides.
Compatible devices can fit based on the following thickness criteria:
- The device thickness and shape needs to fit within the SVALT Cooling Dock’s lower padded area. The front pad adjusts to fit devices that are up to approximately 0.52 inches thick at their bottom tapped edge, and depending on the edge shape can fit devices up to approximately 0.85 inches thick at their thickest section. Devices with more rounded and tapered edges usually fit more easily than square edges.
- Adding a protective or decorative case to your device typically increases overall thickness and alters edge profile. Cases may or may not be compatible, with thinner cases more likely to fit than thicker cases.